Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen said Monday that the team will continue to consider its options in the salary cap case but has no current plans to file a lawsuit over the matter.
Allen said he remains hopeful that the team still can regain some of its lost salary cap space.
“I would hope so,” he said.
But Allen declined to specify what options the Redskins believe they still have to try to recoup cap space.
“There are some,” he said. “We’re just going to continue. We’d like to know the truth.”
Allen denied that the Redskins have contemplated filing a lawsuit. However, other people familiar with the situation have said the Redskins have given consideration to legal action.
Allen was highly critical of the salary cap penalty given to the Redskins, calling it a “travesty of fairness.”
He said the Redskins do not believe they were fairly represented in the matter.
The NFL, with the consent of the players’ union, last year gave the Redskins a $36 million cap reduction over two years for the way in which they structured players’ contracts during the sport’s season without a salary cap in 2010. The Redskins must absorb the remaining $18 million of the reduction this year.
Coach Mike Shanahan said he’d had “a lot of hope” earlier in the offseason that the Redskins would recoup some of their lost salary cap before Tuesday’s opening of the NFL free agent market. Asked when he lost that hope, he glanced at his watch and said “a few hours ago.”
Shanahan said he, too, retains some hope of regaining some salary cap space in the future.