Trent Williams on nightclub attack: ‘I’m over it’

Trent Williams

Trent Williams was selected to his first Pro Bowl. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams said that he has moved on from the January incident in which he was attacked in a Honolulu night club and had to miss the first Pro Bowl of his career.

Early on Friday, Jan. 25, — two days before the Pro Bowl — Williams was struck on the head with a champagne bottle, allegedly by M Nightclub owner Michael Miske Jr., who was charged with assault.

Williams, whom the authorities ruled was a victim and innocent of wrongdoing, received seven stitches and wasn’t able to play in the game.

Williams hadn’t spoken publicly about the incident until Thursday, when asked about it following Thursday’s offseason practice session at Redskins Park.

“It was an unfortunate situation, a situation that I really couldn’t control. It was out of my hands. I was a victim,” Williams said. “I didn’t really have nothing to do with the situation. It was good that the NFL recognized that and still let me be a part of the game and not play, but be able to participate on the sideline. It was an unfortunate situation but I had a good experience overall.”

Asked what exactly happened that night, Williams said, “A lot of commotion happened. I wasn’t part of it, but me obviously being an NFL player, we were kind of targeted. I was sitting there and next thing you know, I was hit with a bottle. That’s about it. … It was pretty disappointing [not to play in the Pro Bowl], but I met a lot of great guys out there. They kind of picked me up during the tough time, so it was cool. It really wasn’t a big deal to me.”

Miske and two other men were charged in relation to the incident, but the matter remains unresolved.

Williams didn’t know how long the legal process would take to conclude.

“I want to be done with it, but of course, they’re taking legal actions and I don’t know going forward, how much of a part I’m going to do in that, being so far away,” he said. “I’m over it, really.”

The 2012 season marked the best of Williams’s three-year career. He rebounded from the disappointing end to his 2011 season – a four-game suspension for failed drug tests – and displayed newfound maturity as well as improved play.

Williams helped pave the way for an offense that ranked fifth in the NFL, and he was voted to his first Pro Bowl. Reflecting on that season, however, Williams believes that he still didn’t entirely fulfill his potential as he was hampered by a deep thigh bruise and knee injury.

“I don’t feel like I played like I know I could down the stretch because I didn’t get to practice a lot. I was hobbled during the whole week,” Williams said.

Now fully healthy, he looks forward to further establishing himself as one of the top left tackles in the league.

More Redskins and NFL coverage:

Orakpo back at full strength; Fletcher and others make strides

Griffin: ‘The only thing that needed repair from last year was my knee’

RGIII takes the field at the Redskins practice, throws and runs

D.C. Sports Bog: ESPN provides live look at RGIII stretching

Griffin’s father says he’d like to see ‘a lot’ of passing in Redskins offense

D.C. Sports Bog: Adam Carriker, on breakfast and vomiting

Five areas to monitor during OTAs

D.C. Sports Bog: A wonderful Redskins bicycle

Also on The Insider

Redskins injury roundup: Orakpo back to full strength, Fletcher, ten others making strides