Some observations from today’s practice:
- The standout of the day had to have been second-year cornerback Richard Crawford, who picked off a Rex Grossman pass downfield, and also had three pass breakups. Crawford played at left corner for the second unit, and in the slot at times. He said after practice that he feels more confident this season, and it shows.
- London Fletcher was on the field today after working on the side last week. Fletcher had elbow and ankle surgeries this offseason.
- Last week, Reed Doughty and Jordan Pugh lined up as the first-team strong and free safeties, respectively. But with Pugh gone, it was Doughty and DeJon Gomes as the starting safeties.
- Phillip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo remained on primarily on the second defense with Thomas playing strong safety and Rambo playing free safety. Thomas flew into the backfield and had a chance to stop Evan Royster soon after he took the handoff, but his angle was a little off, and as he tried to change direction in pursuit of the running back, tight end Logan Paulsen laid him out with a blind-side block.
- Royster, Roy Helu Jr. and Chris Thompson are the most talked about options as players vying for backup duties to Alfred Morris, but Keiland Williams remains in the mix. Williams served as third-down back in as a rookie in 2010 before getting cut in 2011 and signing with Detroit. He returned to Washington last season, playing in nine games, but played primarily on special teams. Williams had a couple of nice carries (as nice as non-contact carries can be) and caught some passes out of the backfield today.
- Kirk Cousins continues to work on his command of the zone-read and pistol-formation plays and scrambling ability and appears to be having fun with it. At one point, he lined up in the pistol and dropped back to throw before feeling pressure. Cousins darted toward the right end and upon seeing that he had beaten defenders to the edge let out a cheer, “Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo!” as he darted up the sideline untouched.
- Defensive end Jarvis Jenkins recorded an interception when a Cousins pass bounced off of a helmet. Jenkins plucked the ball from the air and made it a few yards upfield before the play was blown dead.
- E.J. Biggers has worked almost exclusively at first-team right cornerback with Josh Wilson sidelined. DeAngelo Hall has started at left and slid inside to cover slot receivers, and Crawford takes his place on the edge. David Amerson played primarily on the second unit at right corner.
- Leonard Hankerson had an impressive play when he caught a red zone pass off the line and juked Hall, causing the cornerback to fall down, and then dashed into the end zone.
D.C. Sports Bog: RGIII’s playlist for the OTA sessions
D.C. Sports Bog: Griffin and Liddicoat to be married in Denver
D.C. Sports Bog: Eleanor Holmes Norton calls out Snyder on MSNBC
Reliable Source: RGIII buys a $2.5 million home
Morning Pixels: McNabb, Doug Williams take issue with Griffin criticism
D.C. Sports Bog: Another RGIII thank-you note, with photo
The Other 31: A look at the offseasons of NFL teams around the league