While we wait for the afternoon flood of blog posts, here’s a way to pass the time. Why wait until after Thursday’s game to guess who’ll miss the cut for the final 53, and resurface a few days later on the practice squad?
Let’s review who’s eligible, and when the Redskins have to make their decisions:
● All rookies
● Players who were active for fewer than nine regular season games last season.
● Players who do not have a previous accrued season under their belts
● Players who have been on the practice squad before, for fewer than three seasons.
After cuts are made by 4 p.m. on Saturday, teams can begin assembling their eight-man practice squads at noon on Sunday. The catch, of course, is that players must be cut Saturday before they can be added to the practice squad, so NFL teams can place waiver claims on anyone cut until noon Sunday, and then at noon, all the cut players become free agents. So a player offered a practice squad spot by the Redskins could choose a roster spot elsewhere (or a practice-squad spot elsewhere, though that doesn’t make much sense). There’s a minimum salary for practice squad players (about $6,000/week), but there’s no maximum, so money could come into play, but that money counts against the salary cap.
So as you assemble your guesses below, you could get bold and poach eligible players from other teams, but here are a few possibilities for the Redskins:
● RBs Jawan Jamison and Chris Thompson
● WRs Nick Williams, Skye Dawson, Lance Lewis
● OL Xavier Nixon, Tevita Stevens
● DL Dominique Hamilton, Chigbo Anunoby
● TE Emmanuel Ogbuehi
● LB Will Compton, Marvin Burdette, Vic So’oto
● S Jose Gumbs
Key ineligibles: Pat White, Keiland Williams, Desmond Briscoe, Tom Compton.
Technically eligible, but likely to make the roster: CB David Amerson, TE Jordan Reed, S Bacarri Rambo.
Eligible, but recently cut, put on IR or is expected to be cut today: FB Eric Kettani, OL Jacolby Ashworth, WR Chip Reeves, LB Jeremy Kimbrough, LB Roddrick Muckelroy, LB Ricky Elmore, K John Potter
Here are yesterday’s cuts, as a refresher. Make suggestions in the comments, and I’ll update the above list of eligible players.
Have a Redskins question? E-mail Mike Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mailbag question” for him to answer it in The Mailbag.
● The roster must be cut down to 75 players from 90 no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
More about the Redskins: