Until recently, people had heard very little from Jeff Mangum. As the lead singer of Neutral Milk Hotel, he helped create the staggeringly beautiful album “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” in 1998 and then, more or less, walked away, limiting his recorded output and shows over the next decade.
Earlier this year, however, he announced a tour, and people who attended the shows saw that the person they thought to be indie’s version of J.D. Salinger was engaging and funny. He got on stage with nothing but a microphone and several guitars and reached back effortlessly for those decade-old songs (and they sounded as beautiful as ever, as I can attest). Recently he added more shows, including a Jan. 27 date at the Lincoln Theatre. Tickets go on sale Friday at noon through Ticketmaster and cost $38. You won’t want to miss it.
Tickets go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m. through Ticketfly for the following shows at the 9:30 Club:
• “Bach2Rock” Jan. 7-8 ($5).
• Buraka Som Sistema Jan. 10 ($15).
• Thievery Corporation and Novalima Jan. 11-13 ($45).
• Collie Buddz, Zion I and New Kingston Jan. 20 ($20).
• Augustana Feb. 4 ($20).
• Justice March 21 ($35).
• Band of Skulls and We Are Augustines March 24 ($18).
• Wild Flag April 4 ($20).
Tickets go on sale Friday at noon through Ticketmaster for the following shows at the Birchmere:
• Terri Clark Feb. 24 ($35).
• Travis Tritt March 6 ($55).
• Rachelle Ferrell April 22 ($59.50).
• David Wilcox and Susan Werner April 27 ($29.50).
• Girlyman April 28 ($25).
• Mint Condition May 4-5 ($55).
• Tommy Emmanuel May 25 ($45).