Grab your beer stein and get ready for Oktoberfest, the annual German celebration of the harvest. Though we are far away from Munich, many local places, from H Street to Frederick, are joining in the festivities. Maybe you’re looking for a day of family fun. Maybe you are looking for a serious German meal to go with your maerzen. Or maybe you’re just looking for an excuse to drink. Fritz Hahn makes his picks for all of the above.
Also in today’s Weekend:
• Our picks of the best events this weekend, including the National Book Festival, Brad Paisley, Common, Andy Warhol: Shadows and more.
• Recently named the best female vocalist at the 2011 Brit Awards, Laura Marling’s beautifully arranged songs are a little less jaded.
• Album reviews of bands coming to town: The Head and the Heart (Friday at the 9:30 Club. Sold out); Melissa Ferrick (Saturday at the Birchmere); Nick Lowe (Sunday at Merriweather Post Pavilion, opening for Wilco); Tom Russell (Sunday at Jammin’ Java) and Stanley Jordan (Thursday at the Birchmere).
• Our readers voted on their favorite local coffee shops.
• Michael O’Sullivan examines how the work of local artist BK Adams shows how art is a part of everyday life.
• Take a look inside the updated take on “Les Miserables” opening Wednesday at the Kennedy Center.