At their core, lighthouses are built for functionality. But that function is, quite literally, to illuminate beautiful coastlines in cities and rural outposts near and far. We ventured out to 11 lighthouses — as close as Alexandria and as far away as Chincoteague — worthy of a trip to the shore.
Also in Weekend:
• Our picks for the best events going on this weekend, including the National Capital Barbecue Battle, the Northern Virginia Summer Brewfest and a concert honoring the memory of local musician Phil Mathieu.
• Though Image Band is headlining the Going Out Guide’s reggae night at the Carter Barron, they’re not actually a reggae outfit. The group plays an energized modern take on calypso, known as soca, that you’re bound to love. Also, read record reviews of the latest from Laura Burhenn as the Mynabirds, singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile, indie-folk signer Lauren Mann and rock group Walk the Moon.
• Waiting for a steamed pot of mussels during your lunch break might seem like a stretch in this grab-and-go city, but St. Arnold’s Mussel Bar shows proves it’s worth sitting down and indulging.
• The Walters Art Museum recently let patrons vote on which pieces of animal art would be displayed in a new exhibit, “Public Property.” It doesn’t say too much about the public, but there are a few surprises.
• Get the latest movie reviews, including Pixar’s latest, “Brave,” and the movie that casts Abraham Lincoln as a hunter of vampires.