A trio of movie openings fronted the Weekend section today, which you can read all about in this morning’s new movies post. But it also happens to be the dog days of summer: The kids are out of camp but have a few weeks before going back to school. What’s a parent to do?
Also in the Aug. 10 Weekend section:
• Our picks for the 23 best events this weekend, including the Cantina Cup Regatta, the Silopanna Music Festival and the Hazzard Homecoming.
• After scoring a surprise hit with the album “Rock Creek Park,” rapper Oddisee is back with a stronger lyrical point of view on “People Hear What They See.” Read our profile. Also, read record reviews of Afro-Western dance group the Very Best, bluegrass band Chatham County Line, singer-songwriter Kasey Chambers, rock guitarist Joe Walsh and indie rock band Birthmark.
• D.C. Beer Week is here, and Fritz Hahn rounds up the events you can’t miss.
• Cafe Sorriso in Cleveland Park is a family business in every sense. The pizza, calamari and other Italian dishes are made in a kitchen run by one family.
• At the Arlington Arts Center, a new exhibit, “CTRL+P: New Directions in Printmaking,” wants to blow up the impression that etchings and woodcuts are small and delicate.
• If you enjoyed the feats of flexibility and aerial artistry seen in the Olympics, head to National Harbor for the Cirque du Soleil’s “Totem,”a show that turns athleticism into artistry.