It’s Halloween and we here at GovBeat are celebrating the only way we know how — with statistics! (And lots of candy.) Fortunately, the Census Bureau had the same thought and released a handy guide to state and local Halloween facts.
Did you know that Illinois produced more pumpkins last year — 556 million! — than the next three top-producers combined? Or that California is home to more chocolate and non-chocolate confectionery producers than any other state? Pennsylvania is a close second on chocolate, while Texas is home to the second-most non-chocolate candy makers. Now you know! (See Census infographics below.)
Here are nine eerily named seats of local government. Happy Halloween!
- Tombstone, Ariz. (estimated population 1,358)
- Yellville city, Ark. (estimated population 1,196)
- Slaughter Beach town, Del. (estimated population 215)
- Sleepy Hollow, Ill. (estimated population 3,339)
- Scarville, Iowa (estimated population 71 (Not nearly enough to produce a solid candy haul.)
- Truth or Consequences city, N.M. (estimated population 6,411)
- Kill Devil Hills, N. C. (estimated population 6,827)
- Transylvania County, N.C. (estimated population 32,849)
- Casper, Wyo. (estimated population 57,813)