Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Friday rejected the allegation in a document released a day earlier that he violated campaign law two years ago.
“This is a prime example of what happens when you take on the big government special interests,” he said in an interview on the Fox News Channel’s Fox & Friends on Friday. “They’re looking for ways to come at us. They’ll continue to do it. They did it two years ago in the recall election, they’re going to do it again now. We’ve got another tough election this fall and so they’re going to come at it with just about everything out there and the media—at least many in the media—are willing accomplices to this. But the facts of the case are pretty clear.”
The documents released Thursday but filed in December allege that Walker was part of a broad scheme to coordinate the activities of groups that spent millions to help him and other Republicans fend off state recall elections. The filing was made in a case shut down last month by a federal judge who found that there was no coordination because the outside groups were not engaged in explicit political activity.
“The accusation of any wrongdoing written in the complaint by the office of a partisan Democrat District Attorney by me or by my campaign is categorically false,” Walker said in a late-Thursday statement. “In fact two judges, in both state and federal courts, have ruled that no laws were broken.”
He repeated his dismissal of the allegation and criticism of the media on Twitter Thursday night and Friday morning.