A year after archaeologists began work at Camp Lawton, a POW camp site near Millen, Ga., personal and unusual items left there by some of the 10,000 Union prisoners during the Civil War are on display at the Statesboro campus of Georgia Southern University.
The artifacts include a soldier’s copper ring, a grocery store receipt from Michigan, a diamond-shaped 3rd Corps badge, a tobacco pipe with teeth marks in the stem and a frame that once held a daguerreotype.
The university is directly involved in the continuing search of the camp where Andersonville prisoners were moved in advance of Gen. William Sherman’s march across the state in 1864. Georgia Southern archaeology student Kevin Chapman was the one who pinpointed the exact location of the camp when he received permission to look for evidence of the camp from the state’s Department of Natural Resources. He quickly found artifacts and that led to the archaeological work by the university taking place now.