What we learned today and what we still don't know
We’re winding down our live updates for the night. Here are key things we learned today as well as what remains unknown right now.
What we learned today:
- Police identified the shooter as Darion Marcus Aguilar, a 19-year-old College Park resident who authorities say lived with his mother.
- Aguilar was dropped off at the mall by a taxicab at 10:15 a.m. He opened fire about an hour later inside a Zumiez store, police said.
- Six to eight shots were fired using a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, killing Brianna Benlolo and Tyler Johnson, both employees at Zumiez. Authorities arrived minutes after the shooting, finding Aguilar dead of what they said appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- The weapon was bought in Montgomery County in December.
- The shooting occurred directly above the mall’s food court at Zumiez. One other person was injured with a gunshot wound: a woman who told police she was on the lower level of the mall, below the Zumiez store, when she was shot in the foot.
- Aguilar attended Anne Arundel County schools for several years. He graduated last June from James Hubert Blake High School in Silver Spring, officials said. He was admitted to Montgomery College but never attended, a spokeswoman for that school said.
- Aguilar’s mother filed a missing persons report at about 1:45 or 2 p.m. Saturday — roughly two hours after the shooting — after having tried unsuccessfully to get hold of her son throughout the day.
- Police found a journal in Aguilar’s home that described “unhappiness.”
- Authorities have not yet found any connection between the gunman and the victims.
- The mall will reopen on Monday at 1 p.m.
What we still don’t know:
- The gunman’s motive.
- Any connection between the gunman and the victims. Investigators have spent more than a day conducting interviews and delving into the backgrounds of the shooter and the victims, but they haven’t found any link between them so far, Howard County Police Chief William J. McMahon said Sunday night at a news conference. (There have been numerous media reports saying that there was a romantic relationship between the shooter and one of the victims. McMahon stressed that these reports are speculative, saying that police haven’t confirmed any relationship or connection.)
Stick with our homepage for the latest developments and stories as they emerge.