Local ⋅ Live Blog

Live updates: Columbia mall reopening

Resize Text
Print Article
Members of the media stand outside the closed Zumiez store at the Mall in Columbia on Monday. (AP Photo/Jessica Gresko)

Members of the media stand outside the closed Zumiez store at the Mall in Columbia on Monday. (AP Photo/Jessica Gresko)

The Mall in Columbia reopened at 1 p.m. Monday, two days after a gunman killed two mall employees and took his own life. We’ll bring you live updates from the scene.

Winding down our live coverage

We’re wrapping up our live coverage for the day. For the latest updates, make sure to visit our homepage.

Friends gather at the memorial books

Around 1:30 p.m., 17 people were lined up to sign memorial books for Briana Benlolo and Tyler Johnson and throw white flowers in a mall fountain.

Some mourners cried. Others hugged each other and spoke in hushed tones about their departed friends. One woman picked up a flower, made the sign of the cross with it, bowed her head and then flung it in the water.

The mall had only been open 30 minutes, but already dozens of flowers bobbed in the pool, where patrons tossed pennies and nickels on happier days. But the mall itself bore few signs of the shooting. Shoppers streamed around her and dance music blared from stores, but the scene was different.

Caitlin Davis, 17, of Columbia, brought flowers to lay at the memorial of her friend “Bri.” Davis remembered Benlolo as “being the nicest person I’ve ever met.”

Davis said it could just have easily been a memorial for her — she was slated to work as seasonal worker at Zumiez this winter. It didn’t work out, but she is employed at the mall’s Game Stop, which is around the corner from the scene of the shooting.

“Standing outside the food court, I was almost crying,” Davis said. “I was almost in tears walking around. This is just unreal.”

Patric Centorbi, 20, of Arbutus, Md., was also friends with Benlolo, who he called “happy [and] energetic.” He said they had made plans to go snowboarding shortly before her killing. Centorbi works at the Hot Topics next door to Zumiez, and he said Benlolo would come over and hang out with him on breaks.

“They were two of the sweetest people I know,” Centorbi said of Benlolo and Johnson.

— Justin Jouvenal

Camped out in College Park

As the doors flung open at the Mall in Columbia two days after this weekend’s deadly shooting, one place connected to the incident stayed shuttered: the white barn-style house in College Park where officials say 19-year-old Darion Marcus Aguilar lived with his mother.

Reporters camped out in front of the house all morning and afternoon, hoping family members or anyone who knew the teen who fatally gunned down two people at the mall before shooting himself would be inside or come by the home. They rang the bell, left notes at the door and walked around the neighborhood looking for any hint that could explain how a young man whom friends have described as a quiet and a good person could be responsible for the violence in Columbia.

Neighbors were just as curious. Some in cars slowly drove past the house, craning their heads to stare at the property before speeding past news trucks.

“I was shocked,” said Francisco Gregorio, 72, who passed by the house a few times on a morning walk. Gregorio said he heard of the shooting on the news. “It was unbelievable.”

Gregorio and another neighbor, David Keer, said the house has long been a rental property, housing University of Maryland graduate students in the past. Residents refer to the neighborhood as “Hollywood on the Hill,” said Keer, who also knew little about the people who have lived in the home.

“I think I feel most for the 2-year-old of the girl who was killed,” said Keer, referring to the young son of victim Brianna Benlolo, 21.

Benlolo was slain along with Tyler Johnson, 25, in the shooting Saturday.

Police are trying to determine a motive. Law enforcement and public safety officials were at the house several times over the weekend: at least once to answer a missing persons report from Aguilar’s mother and again to sweep the house for possible explosives when police determined that he was the shooter.

In May, the Prince George’s fire department answered a call at the home for an unrelated accidental attic fire, officials said. Aguilar was home at the time the fire was being extinguished, Prince George’s County fire spokesman Mark Brady confirmed Monday.

“Nothing unusual was noted about any of the occupants’ behavior,” Brady said of the May fire, which he described as routine. With the sun dipping lower in the sky and the weather chilling, reporters remain at the end of Hollywood Road, looking for answers.

— Lynh Bui

Video: Mall in Columbia reopens

The Mall in Columbia reopened this afternoon. Here’s a look at the scene:

'We're all in this together,' O'Malley says at the mall

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley pledged his support for the people of Columbia during an appearance this afternoon in the mall’s food court.

He said he visited the mall about an hour and a half after it reopened to show that “we’re all in this together.”

“Everyone in Maryland is with the people of Columbia today,” O’Malley told reporters.

After his remarks, he grabbed a cup of frozen yogurt from Tutti Frutti with Howard County Executive Ken Ulman and mingled with several shoppers in the food court.

— Patrick Svitek

O'Malley arrives

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley arrived at the Mall in Columbia a short time ago.

(Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley with Howard County Executive Ken Ulman. (Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

Zumiez employee heads right to the store

Christi Ng, 19, arrived as the Mall in Columbia opened at 1 p.m. and went directly to Zumiez, where she regularly worked with Brianna Benlolo.

Although Ng did not work this weekend, she said the shooting felt surreal as she closely followed it on TV.

“It’s definitely more real today now that the mall is open,” said Ng, who lives in Laurel.

Ng remembered Benlolo — or “Bri” — as “really, really hardworking,” a talented worker who rose to a management position within months of starting at Zumiez. “That tells you what kind of girl she was,” Ng said.

— Patrick Svitek

'This can happen anywhere'

There are almost three dozen people waiting to get into the Apple store, including Isaac Miller, 77, a longtime Columbia resident.

He called the shooting a “sad event” but said “this is happening everywhere now,” including a mall that he feels is an important part of the community.

“It’s a place to come. It’s a place to hang out,” he said. “It means a lot to people around here.”

Saturday’s shooting doesn’t change his belief about the mall: “It’s a safe place. This can happen anywhere.”

— Mike Rosenwald

Praising the community's character

Howard County Executive Ken Ulman and Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings addressed shoppers as they prepared to head into the Mall in Columbia shortly before 1 p.m.

Ulman said the community has shown “true character” in dealing with the shooting, citing mall patrons who “grabbed folks they never met before” and rushed them to safety Saturday.

Cummings called Howard County one of the safest counties in the country. Still, the shooting shows violent acts know “no boundaries,” he said.

— Patrick Svitek 

Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings comforts two women who approached him in the food court. (Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings comforts two women who approached him in the food court. (Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

Flowers for Brianna

An undentified woman sobbed as she left these flowers outside the mall with a message for Brianna Benlolo. (Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

An unidentified woman sobbed as she left these flowers outside the mall with a message for Brianna Benlolo. (Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

Ulman leads moment of silence

Howard County Executive Ken Ulman thanked the community, asked the people gathered outside the mall for a moment of silence.

“We’re gonna go into the mall and grab some lunch and do some shopping,” he said.

Columbia mall officially reopened

The Mall in Columbia officially reopened moments ago, a little more than 48 hours after the shooting that left three people dead.

Media crowd gathers outside mall

With the mall reopening in minutes, right now there are more media members outside than shoppers:

(Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

(Mike Rosenwald/The Washington Post)

Photo: The mall sits empty before reopening

Mall employees followed their training

Mall in Columbia retailers “did exactly what they were trained to do” in response to Saturday’s shooting, Ashley Venable, senior general manager of the mall, said this morning.

Speaking to reporters before a tour of the mall, Venable said the workers either left the mall or sheltered in place, ensuring the safety of both retailers and customers.

— Patrick Svitek

A security guard stands near the entrance of the Mall in Columbia in Monday. (Bonnie Jo Mount/The Washington Post)

A security guard stands near the entrance of the Mall in Columbia on Monday. (Bonnie Jo Mount/The Washington Post)

Police still haven't found a motive

The investigation into Saturday’s shooting at the Columbia mall continues, but police have been unable to unearth any warning signs or worrisome hints in Darion Marcus Aguilar’s past:

He has no criminal record that police or online court records can turn up. He’s had no contact with Maryland’s mental health system that authorities have found, law enforcement officials said.

But on Saturday, police say, Aguilar took a taxicab to the Mall in Columbia before shooting and killing two people and himself. More than two days later, authorities are still trying to piece together why that store, why those people and why this happened:

Police also are trying to figure out why Aguilar walked into the Zumiez store, pulled a shotgun and killed two employees: Brianna Benlolo, 21, and Tyler Johnson, 25. He then killed himself in the store, never going back out into the mall or threatening anyone else, even though he was laden with ammunition. Authorities said they have found no connection between Aguilar and the people he shot.

Howard County Police Chief William J. McMahon said at a news conference Sunday night that authorities had discovered a journal in a search of the College Park home Aguilar shared with his mother. McMahon said the teenager had written about his “general unhappiness” in life.

Mall officials made repairs, say it's ready to open

The Mall in Columbia is ready to reopen after  the shooting, Ashley Venable, senior general manager of the mall, said this morning.

Mall officials were given access to the mall in the early morning hours Sunday and “immediately went to work” to prepare to open again, she said. Physical repairs to the mall, which mostly focused on storefront entrances authorities entered, are complete, Venable said.

Before a tour of the mall with members of the media, Venable detailed the mall’s efforts to remember the victims, including memory books that mall patrons can sign and that will ultimately go to the victims’ parents.

“Their loss is our community’s loss,” she said of the victims. “We all need to be there for them and for each other.”

— Patrick Svitek

Displays set up near the mall fountain. (Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

Displays set up near the mall fountain. (Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

Photo: Memorial outside the mall

A memorial has been set up outside one of the mall’s entrances:

The memorial outside a mall entrance. (Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

(Patrick Svitek/The Washington Post)

Eerily silent and empty

The Columbia Mall normally opens at 10 a.m., but Monday morning it was eerily silent and empty as the media was led on a tour at that hour.

Zumiez, the scene of Saturday’s shooting, had been covered in whitewashed plywood that featured a thank you to Howard County officials and first responders.

It also had this simple message: “Zumiez is closed until further notice,” it read. “In loving memory of Brianna Benlolo and Tyler Johnson.”

Mall officials created indoor and outdoor memorials to the tragedy. The indoor one at the Center Court featured books that mall patrons could sign and flowers that could be floated in a fountain. Mall officials said the books will be presented to the victims’ families. The outdoor memorial features candles, flowers and a banner that reads “Forever in Our Hearts.”

The mall is scheduled to reopen at 1 p.m. Monday.

— Justin Jouvenal

Load More
No More Posts
Most Read
Liveblog Comments