Cuccinelli strategist: GOP abandoned us
Ken Cuccinelli campaign strategist Chris La Civita said that among the what if’s in the wake of the Republican’s loss were whether Cuccinelli would have been able to pull out a win if he had received more financial support from national GOP sources – which dried up as of Oct. 1, he said — and if the federal government shutdown had been avoided or brought to a rapid close.
“There are a lot of questions people are going to be asking and that is, was leaving Cuccinelli alone in the first week of October, a smart move?” La Civita said in an interview following his candidate’s concession speech. “We were on our own. Just look at the volume [of ads].”
And yet, he said, the campaign closed to within a point and a half as Cuccinelli picked up momentum after the shutdown and the nation’s attention turned to the bungled implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
“There was definitely a national mood that was moving, that is moving, that is continuing to move against the White House and the Affordable Care Act. And I can’t help but ask myself, what would have been the result had he had five weeks of this discussion instead of just 2 ½?”
Update 12:03 a.m.: Republican National Committee spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski responds:
“The RNC spent millions of dollars to fund the ground game efforts in both New Jersey and Virginia, working in coordination with both campaigns to identify and turnout voters.”
The RNC is also out with a memo playing up its ground game in the two governor’s races this year.