Hurricane Sandy turned everyday vistas into extraordinary scenes. Below, images taken before and after — or directly afterward and in the days since — the storm swept through the Mid-Atlantic.
1. Aerial view of New Jersey, before and after
2. Taxi stand in Hoboken, N.J.
3. NYC Skyline – Before and after
4. A parking garage in New York City’s Financial District.
5. The fishing pier in Ocean City, Md.
6. Carey Tunnel in New York
7. New York City’s Westside Highway, near the USS Intrepid.
On a typical day:
8. Tony’s Pier Restaurant, City Island, N.Y.
9. The Plaza Shops, New York City
10. The HMS Bounty, a replica of the historic ship.
As it appeared in “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”:
As it sank off North Carolina’s Outer Banks:
One Post reader sent in these photos — one taken during the storm and one after the storm passed.
11. Maddox Boulevard, Chincoteague:
During the storm:
After the storm: