The plot continues to thicken in Maryland’s 6th Congressional District, as Bud Otis has left his post as chief of staff to Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R) in the wake of reports that Otis was soliciting support to make his own run for the seat.
“Last night, Congressman Bartlett accepted Bud’s resignation,” Bartlett spokeswoman Lisa Wright said Thursday. “He agreed with Bud that the multiple recent news reports about Bud’s activities made it impossible for Bud to continue to serve him and the residents of the Sixth District of Maryland effectively.”
Otis had been seeking endorsements for his own campaign only if Bartlett chooses not to run, and so far the incumbent has insisted he is running for an 11th term. But some Republicans have taken Otis’s moves as evidence that Bartlett plans to retire.
State GOP Chairman Alex X. Mooney announced Thursday morning that he was forming an exploratory committee for the race, motivated by the news of Otis’s actions.
Wright said it was not true that Otis had been fired, as the conservative blog Red Maryland reported Thursday, though without citing any specific sources. Otis joined Bartlett’s staff in 2001 and became his top aide in 2003.