D.C. government will be open Tuesday, employees are told

September 30, 2013

Have no fear: The Wilson Building will be open for business Tuesday. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

The District government told its employees Monday afternoon they are expected at work Tuesday, regardless of whether or not Congress extends federal appropriations:

MEMORANDUM
TO: District of Columbia Government Employees
FROM: Shawn Y. Stokes, Director
DATE: September 30, 2013
SUBJECT: District of Columbia Government – Operations Status

Last week, Mayor Vincent C. Gray designated all operations of the District of Columbia Government as essential to the protection of public safety, health, and property. Should a Federal government shutdown occur on October 1, 2013, District government agencies and employees will continue to operate on a regular schedule until further notice. Such functions will be funded by the District’s Contingency Reserve Fund, which was previously appropriated by Congress, and employees will be paid on the normal timeline.

Additional updates will be provided as information becomes readily available.

If you’re wondering why the District government is keeping itself open this time after preparing to close during previous federal shutdown threats, here’s some background.

Mike DeBonis covers local politics and government for The Washington Post. He also writes a blog and a political analysis column that runs on Fridays.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local
Next Story
Mike DeBonis · September 30, 2013