The Washington Post

Buckyballs magnets: An intestinal hazard for kids

Meredith DelPrete, 10, holds the type of magnet she accidentally swallowed. (Astrid Riecken/for TheWashington Post)

The magnets are 5 mm in diameter. Last week, DelPrete, a 10-year-old fifth grader in Fairfax County, placed one on her tongue and another on the underside. The balls made it appear as though she had a tongue stud. Once she opened her mouth to show a friend, the magnets rolled back.

“That accidental swallowing led to five days at Inova Fairfax Hospital, at least 10 X-rays, three CT scans and an endoscopy,” says Sun. Doctors say DelPrete was not seriously injured.

The manufacturer of Buckyballs and the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a voluntary recall of Buckyballs magnet sets in 2010 to update the labeling to restrict sale to age 14 and older, says Sun. The magnets can be found in toys and jewelry, and are also sold separately.

Related content

Gallery: Popular magnets pose risk if swallowed

Video: CPSC video warns children of danger of swallowing magnets


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
This isn't your daddy's gun club
A look inside the world of Candomblé
It's in the details: Five ways to enhance your kitchen makeover
Play Videos
A fighter pilot helmet with 360 degrees of sky
The rise and fall of baseball cards
Is fencing the answer to brain health?
Play Videos
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
How to prevent 'e-barrassment'
The art of tortilla-making
Play Videos
Circus nuns: These sisters are no act
How hackers can control your car from miles away
How the new credit card chip makes purchases more secure