White House: Reports of replica Oval Office are false

President Obama and Sen. Patrick Leahy in the Oval Office. AP Photo/Susan Walsh
President Obama and Sen. Patrick Leahy in the Oval Office. AP Photo/Susan Walsh

The White House on Wednesday dismissed reports that a second Oval Office is being built in preparation for a two-year overhaul of the West Wing.

“Reports about a replica Oval Office are false,” press secretary Jay Carney said at Wednesday’s daily briefing. “No one’s moving from the West Wing.”

The Web site Real Clear Politics, citing “several knowledgeable sources,” reported last week that preparatory work was underway on a replica of the executive office inside the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

Asked last week about the report, Carney declined to comment and referred reporters to the General Services Administration. But GSA apparently did not respond to requests for comment, and a reporter raised the issue again at Wednesday’s briefing.

In its report last week, Real Clear Politics cited one person with knowledge of the preparations as saying that the timing of the relocation was still an open question.

“We have eight to 10 months to get ready,” the person said.

politics

post-politics

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Politics

politics

post-politics

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Next Story
Philip Rucker · February 6, 2013