White House dismisses North Korea video showing Obama, troops in flames

February 20, 2013

The White House on Wednesday shrugged off a new North Korean web video depicting President Obama and U.S. troops in flames, arguing that anti-American propaganda is less worrisome than the totalitarian state’s “continuing defiance of its international obligations.”

Asked at Wednesday’s press briefing about the video, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters that he had read about it but hadn’t seen it.

“I would simply say the provocative propaganda is far less concerning to us and to our allies than provocative actions that violate North Korea's commitments to the United Nations and the international community, its flagrant violations of its commitments when it comes to its nuclear weapons program,” Carney said.

He added that the U.S. is “working with our allies to isolate and pressure North Korea appropriately.”

Following last week’s North Korean nuclear test, Obama spoke by phone with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The two leaders “pledged to work closely together to seek significant action at the United Nations Security Council and to cooperate on measures aimed at impeding North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programs," according to a White House statement.

The North Korean nuclear issue is likely to be at the top of the agenda when Abe and Obama meet Friday at the White House.

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Politics
Next Story
Natalie Jennings · February 20, 2013