About three-quarters of Americans are concerned that a potential government shutdown would hurt them personally, according to a new poll conducted for the Peter G. Peterson Foundation by a Democratic pollster.
The Global Strategy Group poll shows 74 percent are concerned that their own personal financial situation will worsen as a result of a shutdown, with 49 percent being "very" concerned.
Another 62 percent think it's "likely" that their personal financial situation will worsen.
The poll also shows Americans are split on whom to blame for the potential shutdown. While 35 percent would blame Republicans in Congress, 29 percent would blame President Obama and another 12 percent would blame congressional Democrats -- a total of 41 percent blaming either Obama or his Democratic allies in Congress.
Previous polling suggests the blame would be pretty evenly split between both parties.
Americans also remain pessimistic that Congress will reach a deal to avert a shutdown -- or a deal on the upcoming debt ceiling debate.
Fifty-six percent say they are "pessimistic" that a shutdown will be averted, while 55 percent say it's "not likely" that Congress will reach a deal on the debt ceiling by the deadline in mid-October.
The poll also shows more than eight in 10 Americans worry that the United States economy will become "less stable" as a result of a shutdown.
For the entire poll, click here.