The Federal Trade Commission said Tuesday that the top complaint it received from consumers last year was over identity theft. Also high on the list were complaints about Internet and telecommunications services and Internet auctions.
In its annual report on consumer complaints, the protection agency said identity theft was the number one consumer gripe for the 11th year in a row. Of a total 1.3 million complaints received last year, 19 percent were related to identity theft.
Here are the top 10 complaints:
1. Identity theft, 250,854 complaints
2. Debt collection, 144,159 complaints
3. Internet services, 65,565 complaints
4. Prizes, sweepstakes and lotteries, 64,085 complaints
5. Shop-at-home and catalog Sales, 60,205 complaints
6. Imposter scams, 60,158 complaints
7. Internet auctions, 56,107 complaints
8. Foreign money/counterfeit check scams, 43,866
9. Telephone and mobile services, 37,388 complaints
10. Credit cards, 33,258 complaints