Here are 12 of the winners of the Style Invitational’s annual “Foaling Around” contest, published on Saturday. You are going to choose your favorites, and in so doing you will be weighing in on the main point of contention between me and The Empress of the Style Invitational. But for our minor yet fundamental disagreement over the value of “clever” versus “funny” in the judging of humor, The Empress and I would long ago have left our respective spouses and set up an S&M love nest together in Zurich.
As always, the contest invites you to take the real names of two race horsese, figuratively “mate” them, and then name the foal. Here are some of the winners, as chosen by The Empress.
1. Holy Highway x The Lumber Guy = Om Depot (Susan Thompson, Cary, N.C.)
2. Flashy Sunrise x Alpha = Greet the Nude A (Doug Frank, Crosby, Tex.)
3. Stat x Wrote = ASAP’s Fables (Laura Bennett Peterson, Washington)
4. Tiger Walk x Holy Highway = Fairway to Heaven (Mike Gips, Bethesda, Md.; Stephen Gilberg, Washington)
5. Discreet Dancer x One Sock Down = Amish Stripper (George-Ann Rosenberg, Washington)
6. Cyber Secret x Liaison = eLope (Carly Ball, Rockville, Md., a First Offender)
7. Empire Way x Ever So Lucky = Appian Carefree (Jonathan Paul)
8. Diplomat x Segway = Ambassadork (Larry Yungk, Arlington, Va.)
9. Julius Caesar x Late Night Action = Et Tu, Booté (Brian Cohen, Lexington, Va.)
10. Finnegans Wake x The Lumber Guy = James Joist (Ellen Raphaeli, Falls Church, Va.)
11. Boat Trip x Captain Obvious = No Ship, Sherlock (Russell Thompson, Cary, N.C.)
12. Algorithms x Backdoor Strike = Tipper Over (William Verkuilen, Brooklyn Park, Minn.)