The Washington Post

43 people exposed to carbon monoxide at NW drug rehab facility

More than 40 people were taken to a hospital Tuesday after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide at a Northwest Washington drug rehabilitation facility, D.C. fire and EMS officials said.

An ambulance was called to evaluate a sick person in the 1300 block of Harvard Street at about 3:15 p.m., said Pete Piringer, a spokesman. Fire crews took readings and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside two adjacent buildings at Second Genesis rehabilitation facility and the buildings were evacuated, he said.

EMS units took 43 people to the hospital, including three people in serious condition, Piringer said.

Authorities believe a malfunctioning water heater in a basement caused the release of the gas.

Officials closed that block of Harvard Street and traffic was affected in the area.

Clarence Williams is the night police reporter for The Washington Post and has spent the better part of 13 years standing next to crime scene tape, riding in police cars or waking officials in the middle of night to gather information about breaking news in and around Washington.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Deaf banjo player teaches thousands
Unconventional warfare with a side of ale
It's in the details: Five ways to enhance your kitchen makeover
Play Videos
Drawing as an act of defiance
A fighter pilot helmet with 360 degrees of sky
Border collies: A 'mouse trap' for geese on the National Mall
Play Videos
Bao: The signature dish of San Francisco
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
What you need to know about Planned Parenthood
Play Videos
How to save and spend money at college
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
Europe's migrant crisis, explained