An overheated kiln sparked a fire at the Corcoran Gallery of Art early Tuesday, a D.C. fire department spokesman said, but no artwork was damaged.
D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Pete Piringer said security guards reported smoke and fire in the ceramics building, located in the courtyard of the museum, shortly after 4 a.m.
Damage seemed limited to the ceramics studio, which was largely consumed by the fire, Piringer said. The reason that the kiln overheated was not immediately clear. Piringer said there was “no smoke damage or any water damage” to the museum’s extensive art collection.
The Corcoran, a stately white building at 17th and E streets NW, is a Washington landmark, bordering the national mall and located just a block from the White House.