Most Read: Local

Post Now
Posted at 08:51 AM ET, 10/27/2011

Firefighter credited with saving fellow volunteer’s life in Prince George’s

A firefighter in Prince George’s County saved the life of a fellow volunteer who was choking on a piece of food, fire officials reported.

About 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sean Roth of the Forestville Volunteer Fire Department was returning from a call when he ran into a 42-year-old female volunteer in distress in the firehouse.

The woman had been setting up for a funeral luncheon at the firehouse, in the 8300 block of Old Marlboro Pike in Forestville, when she tasted a piece of food and felt it get stuck in her throat.

A trained emergency medical technician, she didn’t panic and instead looked for help, officials said.

Roth was the first person she saw, and she signaled to him that she was choking by clutching her hands around her neck.

He performed the Heimlich maneuver, which involves applying a thrust to the abdomen, and dislodged the piece of food.

The female volunteer declined to go to the hospital and returned to setting up for the luncheon.

To learn the Heimlich maneuver, CPR and how to operate an external defibrillator call Prince George’s County Fire and EMS at 301-864-LIVE (5483).

By  |  08:51 AM ET, 10/27/2011

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company