The dedication of the Martin Luther King memorial, which was postponed because of Hurricane Irene, will be held next month, said Ed Jackson Jr., the monument’s executive architect.
Jackson said in an interview Sunday evening that the ceremonies will “absolutely ... definitely” be held Sunday, Oct. 16. They will begin at 11 a.m., he said.
He said that organizers of the project “will be regrouping [Monday] to go over all the details.”
The program might differ in some ways from what had been scheduled for the Aug. 27 ceremonies, before warnings of the impending storm forced a postponement.
“We have to go back and confirm all of the speakers and entertainers that were planned,” Jackson said. He added that details of the schedule “will be forthcoming.”
Jackson was interviewed after the new date was reported Sunday afternoon by the Associated Press. It appeared that the choice of the new date was relatively recent.
No announcement appeared on the memorial’s web site on Sunday, and a spokesman for the National Park Service said he could not confirm that a permit had been issued.
However, Jackson said he understood that one had been obtained, possibly through renewal of the previous permit request.
“It could simply have been resubmitted,” he said.
Harry E. Johnson, Sr., president and CEO of the memorial project foundation could not be reached immediately.