Paula Deen dropped by Food Network after third apology (updated)

June 21, 2013

Update, 4:54 p.m.: The Associated Press reports that the Food Network says it will not renew Paula Deen’s contract when it expires at the end of the month.

* * *

Issuing her third apology in three days, Paula Deen released a short but choppy video online Friday afternoon expressing regrets for having used racial slurs in the past. The Food Network star appeared genuinely regretful and rattled by the torrent of criticism she has received this week. She appears to be talking off the top of the head, not from a script; four separate takes are edited together for the mere 46-second video.

Full remarks: I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done. I want to learn and grow from this. . . inappropriate hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. . . I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, i beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I have made.

It’s been a rough year or so for the down-home foodie celeb, now battling a workplace discrimination lawsuit. Last year, after she disclosed that she suffers from diabetes, she faced stinging criticism for not modifying her sugary, fatty recipes.

Earlier: Paula Deen’s lawyer attempts to further explain racial slurs, 6/20/13
Paula Deen says in lawsuit questioning that she has used racial slur but doesn’t tolerate hate, 6/19/13

More Reliable Source Elisabeth Moss; Rand Paul; “North West”?; Seersucker Thursday; Joe Kennedy; Paula Deen; Sarah Wayne Callies; Michael Collins; Josh Duggar

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Lifestyle
Next Story
Amy Argetsinger · June 21, 2013