Did Chelsea Clinton’s disclosure in Glamour that she and Marc Mezvinsky have long planned “to make 2014 the Year of the Baby” have you squirming with an uncomfortable sense of TMI? Well, give her a break: Her procreation future has long been Topic A for the Clintons, the only safe and relatable bit of banter this jet-set family has to share (everyone loves babies!) — and, of course, the media can’t stop asking them about it.
- “If I could have my wishes, I would like to live to see my own grandchildren.” — Bill, at a AIDS conference in Vienna, July 2010.
- “Hillary wanted this marriage because she wants to be a grandmother more than she wanted to be president.” — Bill, on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” Sept. 2010.
- “I love babies, so you know, maybe I’ll have more in my life some day.” — Hillary, ABC interview, Jan. 2011.
- “I would like to have a happy wife and she won’t be unless she’s a grandmother..” — Bill at Davos, January 2011.
- “No pressure, because I don’t want to be one of those kinds of mothers. But obviously, someday, I’d love it.” — Hillary, Harper’s Bazaar, March 2011.
- “Well, that’s really not up to me, but I would like to have that title. I will certainly tell you that’s a title I would be proud to have” — Hillary, ABC interview, April 2012.
- “[We] try to build a better world for—if she were here , she would say—the grandchildren she hopes to have.” — Chelsea, at a Vital Voices gala, June 2012.
- “My goal is to live to be a grandfather.” — Bill, CBS interview, Sept. 2013.