Oliver Stone mourns his MLK biopic on Twitter

(Thomas Niedermueller/Getty Images)
(Thomas Niedermueller/Getty Images)

Of the myriad of MLK studio projects currently in the works, Hollywood heavyweight Oliver Stone’s won’t be hitting theaters anytime soon–or ever.

“My MLK project involvement has ended,” announced the Oscar-winning director behind “JFK” and “Nixon” on Twitter Friday. “I did an extensive rewrite of the script, but the producers won’t go with it.” Stone added that he was told that “the ‘respectable’ black community that guard King’s reputation won’t approve it. They suffocate the man & the truth.”


Exactly who serves on the board of “the ‘respectable’ black community” remains a bit of a mystery, but according to early reports members of the King family were slated to act as executive producers on the film for DreamWorks and Warner Bros.

In more tweets (there were 5 in all) Stone said that he planned to depict adultery, conflicts within the civil rights movement, and “King’s spiritual transformation into a higher, more radical being” in his big screen version. He also said that he feared if “they” (we’re assuming the “respectable black community” cabal) moved forward with the film it would be “just another commemoration of the March on Washington.”

Back in October, Stone told the Wall Street Journal that he was officially moving forward with a Martin Luther King Jr. biopic starring fellow Oscar winner Jamie Foxx, who he previously worked with on “Any Given Sunday.”

“We’re looking for a way to relate to this extraordinary man,” said Stone. What a difference just three months make in the movie business.

 

Helena Andrews is the co-author of The Reliable Source. Follow her on Twitter @helena_andrews, and send your hot tips, sightings, and gossip to reliablesource@washpost.com.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Lifestyle
Next Story
Helena Andrews · January 20