There has been, to put it mildly, some mass self-delusion going on in right-wing circles. Here’s how to tell if you are suffering from the ill-effects of the echo chamber:
1. You think Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) has it nailed when he tells the Value Voters Summit that the Dems are “feeling the heat” in the shutdown fight.
2. You think the problem is Ken Cuccinelli isn’t conservative enough.
3. You think if only the shutdown went on longer the GOP would win this fight.
4. You think poll numbers showing the plummeting favorability of Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Cruz’s 2-to-1 negatives are “skewed.”
5. You think that if the GOP doesn’t win the shutdown fight it will be because of the mainstream media.
6. You think Americans want to shut down the government to get rid of Obamacare.
7. You think the problem is that Cruz didn’t talk long enough or that the media didn’t cover his 21-hour speech fairly.
8. You think the right-wingers who lost Senate races in 2010 and 2012 should run for the Senate in 2014 because the GOP “let them down.”
9. You think it is better to have 30 “true conservatives” than 51 Republicans in the U.S. Senate.
10. You think Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) had it wrong when he backed immigration reform and right when he went to bat for the shutdown strategy.
11. You think the biggest threat to the GOP is politicians like Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.). You think it’s about time someone primaried Sens. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) or John Cornyn (R-Tex.) from the right.
12. You think the GOP should have stood pat on the shutdown.
13. You think Hispanics will never vote for Republicans so there is no use in pursuing immigration reform. You think it is fine for the GOP to win elections relying almost entirely on white voters.
14. You think Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is a sell out because he thinks repealing Obamacare can only happen by electing a GOP Senate majority and capturing the White House.
15. You think Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) have betrayed the conservative movement.
16. You think the GOP needs candidates like Ted Cruz to run in for Senate places like Michigan, Virginia and Colorado.
17. You think the GOP would have done better with Newt Gingrich, Herman Cain, Rick Santorum or Ron Paul as its 2012 presidential nominee. You think Santorum blew it when he stopped talking about contraception.
18. You think Republicans should run hard at the national level on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.
19. You think President Ronald Reagan would decry compromise and support primarying the Senate minority leader.
20. You think right-wing talk radio hosts are a good barometer of American public opinion.
If you answered “yes” to more than half of these, it’s time to rethink your political assumptions.