Marylanders, please wish Helen Wheat a very happy birthday. She just turned 110.
“I just thank the Lord for giving me such a long life,” she told the
Frederick News-Post. “And I’m so happy that all my family could come to be with me on my 110th birthday.”
A few facts about the birthday lady:
● She drinks four ounces of red wine a day.
● Her offspring totals are remarkable. Children: 3. Grandchildren: 9. Great-grandchildren: 21. Great-great-grandchildren: 5.
● Theodore Roosevelt was president when she was born in 1902. He died in 1919.
●Also born in 1902: John Steinbeck. He died in 1968.
● “She enjoys playing board games,” the paper reported, “and still defeats her descendants.” (Note to self: Don’t challenge her in a game of checkers.)
● Helen’s advice after 110 years on Earth: “Go to church and try to be honest in everything you do,” she said. “Help others and believe in the Lord and pray.”
Happy birthday, Helen. Many, many more.