The scandal-wracked Ghana soccer team has indefinitely suspended Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng ahead of its final World Cup group-stage match against Portugal on Thursday afternoon, the country’s soccer federation announced in separate statements.
Muntari, who started Ghana’s first two games but was set to miss the Portugal match because of yellow-card accumulation, was suspended “in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr. Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting,” the Ghana Soccer Federation (GFA) said in a statement posted on its Web site.
According to Ghanasportsonline.com, “Muntari is alledged to have slapped a member of the Ghana National Team’s management committee,” Moses Armah, and “even chased [him] with broken bottles at the hotel over disagreements with appearance fees and other bonuses owed the players.”
Boateng, who didn’t start against the United States in the opener and was subbed out early in the second half against Germany, was suspended after his “vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team’s training session in Maceio this week,” the Ghana Soccer Federation (GFA) said in a separate statement. “Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision,” it said.
Earlier this week, Ghana’s president authorized the shipment of $3 million in cash to Brazil so its disgruntled soccer players could be paid for the World Cup. The money was flown in on a plane.
Ghana’s best chance of advancement into the World Cup’s knockout round on Thursday involves a win over Portugal combined with a multiple-goal loss by the United States to Germany.
More from the World Cup: