‘The Bachelor’ fallout continues with ABC spin, defensive tweets, feuding tabloids


(Courtesy People Magazine/Life & Style Weekly)

Two days after the trainwreck, extremely tense “Bachelor” finale — during which universally-disliked star Juan Pablo Galavis infuriated producers by refusing to play the show’s game and spill details about his relationship with “winner” Nikki Ferrell — the fallout continues with ABC doing damage control, Juan Pablo’s defensive tweets and some very confusing tabloid conclusions.

ABC sent host Chris Harrison to talk to ABC News, and Harrison swears he was just trying to do good buddy Juan Pablo a favor by grilling him and Nikki about their relationship and asking deeply personal questions. (Or at least, trying to goad Juan Pablo into at least pretending he was at all excited about a relationship in which ABC had just made a two-month investment.)

“I really felt like I was sitting here, like Jerry Maguire, saying, ‘Help me help you. I’m trying to make you look better. Come up with an articulate thought about this woman next to you who has pledged her devotion to you,’” Harrison explained. “The more he spoke, the worse he looked. I felt bad for both of them.”

Harrison still sounds mad that Juan Pablo threw off the show’s normally scripted fairy tale. “I assume, I’m hoping at least, it was just an orchestrated event by him to somehow and in some way, get back at me or the show,” he said on Tuesday. “I don’t know what his motivation was for what he pulled last night.”

Reports are emerging that the big “surprise” ABC had been touting all week was that Juan Pablo was going to propose on the live “After the Final Rose” special — obviously, that didn’t go as planned. When Harrison asked Juan Pablo about a possible “big surprise,” Juan Pablo denied everything, making Harrison look like a fool in the process. Others have speculated that Juan Pablo is really mad that ABC didn’t invite him to be on “Dancing With the Stars,” and that’s why he blew up the finale.

Not coincidentally, frequent ABC partner People magazine released the cover of its new issue Wednesday, with a huge cover story about how Nikki is still in love with “controversial” Juan Pablo, and is willing to patiently wait to be upgraded from “girlfriend” to “fiance.” Juan Pablo says he’s all in.

“It’s hard because [viewers] saw a character on TV,” he told People. “A lot of things about me were not shown. I’m not a bad guy. People who know me, know who I am.”

Unfortunately, Life & Style thinks that’s ALL A SHAM, and that the relationship is OVER — ALREADY. The mag claims “she caught him with her best friend” (though it turns out that just means Nikki saw footage from the show of Juan Pablo making out with her fellow contestant/”best friend” Andi Dorfman … not quite the same thing).

Juan Pablo, meanwhile, has been trying to convince the world that, to use his favorite catchphrase: “It’s okay.” He’s been tweeting and Instagramming up a storm, including a quote that read “Throw me to the wolves and I’ll come back leading the pack.” Otherwise, it’s all defending his non-proposal and saying that him and Nikki are doing just great, thank you very much.

 

Then he retweeted:

Although apparently ABC is still involved in his weekly People magazine blog posts, and he’s blaming them for its delay in posting (oh, to know what the first draft of that said):

 

As for ratings, about 10 million people tuned in to watch the disastrous final episode on Monday night — solid numbers, but on par with how many people watched the perfectly non-controversial, adorable love story of Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici on last season’s finale.

Read more entertainment news.

Emily Yahr covers pop culture and entertainment for the Post. Follow her on Twitter @EmilyYahr.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Lifestyle
Next Story
Caitlin Dewey · March 12