Beyonce, her sister Solange and husband Jay Z have finally broken their silence about the now-infamous footage of Solange attacking Jay Z in a hotel elevator, that was captured via security camera video.
The family released the following statement to the Associated Press on Thursday afternoon:
As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it. Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologized to each other and we have moved forward as a united family.
The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behavior throughout that evening are simply false. At the end of the day families have problems and we’re no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We’ve put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same.
The Internet had been abuzz since Monday, when TMZ posted a three and a half-minute, sound-free video that appeared to be closed-circuit security camera footage taken at the Standard Hotel after the Met Gala in New York City last week. Solange is shown extremely upset about something, and restrained by a bodyguard as she aggressively swings and tries to kick her brother-in-law Jay Z, who barely moves an inch. Beyonce is seen in the corner, calmly adjusting the train of her dress as she almost gets knocked over in the scuffle.
Ever since the video was made public, the rumor mill has been in full swing about what may have triggered the incident, but it appears this statement is all that will be said on the matter.
The Standard Hotel released a statement late Wednesday that the person responsible for the security footage leak has been fired, and the hotel is turning over all available information to the police.
“The Standard has identified the individual responsible for breaching the security policies of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video released by TMZ,” a rep said in a statement. “The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies.”
Meanwhile, Page Six reported that the individual who sold the footage had been shopping the footage for days and got a cool $250,000 payday from TMZ. This type of leaked security camera footage is an increasing problem, as companies have no way to prevent someone simply holding up an iPhone and capturing incriminating footage on video.