Hordes of protesters have gathered around the Supreme Court this week as the justices review President Obama’s health-care law — and many locals who work around Capitol Hill have been drawn to watch the demonstrators during their lunch breaks.
As the Supreme Court winds down its third and final day of review of the health-care law, here are a few healthy lunch spots around the Capitol. Truth be told, there aren’t very many of them.
1. Sweetgreen — Green salads and frozen yogurt are specialties at this lunch spot. ( 221 Pennsylvania Ave. SE)
2. Seventh Hill Pizza — This brick-oven pizza shop offers fresh ingredients and vegetarian options. ( 327 7th St. SE)
3. New Course — “Few luncheonettes around town serve food that is fresher or more likely to be made from scratch,”according to the Going Out Guide. ( 500 Third St. NW)
4. Mitsitam Cafe — Tucked inside the National Museum of the American Indian, this cafe “points out, albeit subtly, how healthful the American diets were before the Europeans arrived,” wrote Tom Sietsema. ( 4th St. and Independence Ave.)
5. Sonoma — California-style cuisine is made with fresh, local ingredients. ( 223 Pennsylvania Ave. SE)
Tell us: Do you have any favorites lunch spots serving healthful fare around the Capitol? Share your suggestions in the comments below.