Keep your eyes on the skies tonight, D.C. Here’s your Friday roundup of stories to read before leaving work:
• Stay up late for the Orionids. The Orionids are one of the major shooting star displays each year, and those showers peak above us around 2:20 a.m. Saturday.
• Are you ready for The Rapture 2.0? Today is radio host Harold Camping’s second shot at predicting the apocalypse, and the Internet is awash with bucket lists.
• Man arrested in connection with shooting. A 20-year-old D.C. man has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting in Northeast Washington last month that left 24-year-old Isaiah Sheffield dead.
• O’Malley signs a partisan plan. Maryland’s General Assembly on Thursday approved — and Gov. Martin O’Malley signed into law — a partisan plan designed to pick up another House seat for Democrats by anchoring most of the state’s eight congressional districts in suburban Washington, where minority populations are surging.
• Cold as ice? Not yet, but it’s coming. Find out when the first freeze is expected to hit your area from Capital Weather Gang.