Afternoon Fix: Ed Rollins will run Michele Bachmann’s campaign
Ed Rollins is working for Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich is on a cruise, the prosecutors have John Edwards messages and Sarah Palin’s emails are coming out.
Make sure to sign up to get “Afternoon Fix” in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX:
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
* Veteran GOP strategist Ed Rollins has signed up to run Rep. Michele Bachmann’s presidential campaign. Rollins was a senior adviser to Mike Huckbee’s 2008 bid and was prepared to work with the former Arkansas governor again in 2012. He also managed Ronald Reagan’s 1984 re-election campaign. It’s the Minnesota Republican’s first high-profile 2012 hire.
* Where’s Newt? Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, taking a break from the campaign trail, has been spotted on the Seabourn Odyssey, a cruise from Greece to Turkey. On a cruise message board, another passenger named him and his wife (along with 1960’s fashion model Twiggy) as notable guests.
* Virginia-based GOP polling firm American Viewpoint has hired David Kanevsky as their research director. Kanevsky previously worked at Public Opinion Strategies, which handled polling for McCain’s presidential bid. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in the 2008 presidential election, Since that race, Kanevsky has also done polling for the U.S. military in Iraq, and he managed the campaign Rep. Charlie Bass (R-Pa.) in 2010.
* Jennifer Yocham Poersch, president of fundraising and strategic planning firm JYP Consulting, is joining bipartisan lobbying shop Wexler & Walker Public Policy Associates as a senior vice president. Poersch led the finance team for former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson’s 2008 presidential campaign.
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE MISSED:
* The Iowa Renewable Fuels Association just wants to talk to former China ambassador Jon Huntsman, who said last weekend that he would not campaign in Iowa because of his opposition ethanol subsidies. “[H]is perception of Iowa and current ethanol and energy policy is woefully out of date,” said association president Walt Wendland. “Therefore, we want to invite Ambassador Huntsman to Iowa so he can learn how politics and policy actually work here.”
* Prosecutors have obtained emails between John Edwards and a former aide that show the 2008 presidential candidate acknowledged payments to his pregnant mistress even while he was publicly denying it, according to the AP. According to the messages, Edwards acknowledged fathering the child in a 2009 phone call with a speechwriter and said he knew a donor was sending money to Rielle Hunter.
* A whopping 24,199 emails sent by then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will be released on Friday at 9 A.M. in Juneau. News organizations and citizens requested the emails under the state public records law back in 2008, when it came out that Palin was using a Yahoo account to conduct state business. We’ll be there, and we’ll have the documents online as soon as we can.
THE FIX MIX:
Wash Weinergate out of your mind:
With Rachel Weiner and Aaron Blake