Labor Day 2011: A look at where presidential candidates will be — and when
Labor Day began as a union protest and was made official by a Democratic president hoping to curry favor with organized labor. But now it’s become a sort of official kickoff to the political season.
With a presidential primary fight looming on the Republican side, there will be no vacation for the men and woman seeking the GOP nod.
If you’re a political junkie looking for a little Labor Day weekend fix, we’ve got you covered. Here’s where the Republican candidates (and possible candidate) will be (and when) this weekend. (All times local).
And if you spot a candidate yourself, send us your photos.
Saturday, Sept. 3:
* Former Utah governor Jon Huntsman is attending a gun show in Concord, N.H. in the morning; in the afternoon he’ll be at the Hopkinton State Fair in Contoocook.
* Former Godfathers Pizza CEO Herman Cain will speak at a “Conservative Road from the I-4 Corridor” rally in Sanford, Florida at 5:30 pm.
* Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin will speak at a Tea Party of America rally in Indianola, Iowa. The rally goes from 11 am to 2 pm.
* Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum is speaking to the Beaufort County Republican Party at a cafe in Hilton Head, S.C. At 5 pm, Santorum will speak to Republican leaders at the Golden Corral in Bluffton, S.C.
Sunday, Sept. 4:
* President Obama will be in Paterson, New Jersey, to view damage from Hurricane Irene.
* Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney will be in Concord, N.H. for a 6 pm Tea Party Express rally, at which FreedomWorks is staging a protest. The event is part of a bus tour through early primary states. Former Louisiana governor Buddy Roemer will also appear.
* Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will be in Chicago for a screening of his movie about Pope John Paul II, “Nine Days that Changed the World.”
Monday, Sept. 5:
* Obama is delivering a speech in Detroit to deliver a speech in front of thousands of workers. AFL-CIO President Rich Trumka, United Auto Workers President Bob King, Teamsters President James P. Hoffa and Service Employees International President Mary Kay Henry are all attending.
* Huntsman will march in a local Labor Day Parade in Milford, N.H., at 1 pm. At 4:15 pm, he will speak at Salem/Windham Republican Labor Day Picnic in Salem, N.H.
* Palin will speak at a Tea Party Express rally in Manchester, which begins at 12 pm. Roemer and former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson are also featured.
* Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) will speak at a reception for the South Carolina GOP with state Sen. Tom Davis at 12:30 pm. At 5 pm, Paul is speaking at a grassroots rally at a Marriott in Columbia, S.C.
* Texas Gov. Rick Perry is participating in a 10 am town hall meeting hosted by Rep. Tim Scott (R) in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
* Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), Cain, Gingrich, Paul, Perry and Romney will all attend a forum in South Carolina hosted by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.). The event begins at 3 pm and will be carried live on CNN.