Mitt Romney crushing in South Carolina spending
By Rachel Weiner,
If former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney loses South Carolina Saturday night, it will be a very expensive loss.
From Jan. 16 through the Saturday primary, he and his super PAC supporters have spent more than any two of his rivals combined, according to a Republican media buyer.
In Iowa, a deluge of ads from the pro-Romney super PAC Restore Our Future buried former House speaker Newt Gingrich. In the Palmetto State, Gingrich is fighting back, thanks to a huge boost from his own super PAC supporters.
Romney also has more rivals to contend with in the south. In Iowa he was focused almost exclusively on Gingrich; now former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum has emerged as a serious rival and another big ad spender.
SOUTH CAROLINA AD SPENDING, Jan. 16 to Jan 21:
* Mitt Romney $858,155 + Restore Our Future $1,238,482 + Citizens for a Working America $202,642 = $2,299,279
* Newt Gingrich $337,763 + Winning Our Future $856,220 = $1,193,983
* Rick Santorum $667,810 + Red White and Blue Fund $406,447 = $1,074,257
* Ron Paul $984,538 + Santa Rita PAC $150,992 = $1,135,530
* Rick Perry $102,450 + Make Us Great Again $97,851 = $200,301