It’s been less than 24 hours since President Obama’s State of the Union address — and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s Republican response — but already thousands of words of news and analysis have been written about what was said, what wasn’t said and about the sip of water that launched a thousand Internet memes.
But we always learned in writing class to “show don’t tell” — yes, we did take a writing class here and there — we thought it would be fun to use some pictures, .gifs and, yes, even the occasional meme, to paint the picture of State of the Union night.
And away we go!
1. The President and the Congress.
2. Former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly were big stars of the night.
3. As was Desiline Victor.
4. President Obama and Mark Kirk, the Illinois Senator who missed the 2012 State of the Union after suffering a stroke, exchanged a fist bump.
5. Yes, Rock “star” Ted Nugent said he would be dead or in jail if Obama was re-elected. Neither happened.
6. House Speaker John Boehner wasn’t too happy….
7. …but Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) were.
8. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg seemed sleepy….
9. …but First Lady Michelle Obama was pumped up.
10. And Joe Biden was Joe Biden. Whether he had his glasses on…
11. …or off.
12. Then there was Rubio and his bottle of water.
13. Here’s a .gif of the sip heard round the world.
14. And then there was this.
15. Heck, even Rubio got in on the action, tweeting out his famous/infamous thirst-quencher.