EARLIER ON THE FIX:
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
* With a week left for lawmakers to avert the across-the-board federal spending cuts known as the sequester, Democratic governors at the White House warned Friday of the negative impact states would feel if the sequester isn’t avoided. Meanwhile, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood warned of the negative impact air travelers could face if the sequester takes effect.
* President Obama still hasn’t decided where he wants his presidential library to be: Honolulu or Chicago. “It is a tough choice, but it’s not one that I’ve made yet,” Obama said.
* In an Austin, Texas speech two and a half years ago, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) reportedly accused Harvard Law School of harboring a dozen communists on its faculty when he studied there.
* The district offices of Virginia Reps. Scott Rigell (R) and Randy Forbes (R) were evacuated Friday after receiving mail containing suspicious substances. After an initial examination, firefighters found the white, powdery substance in a letter at Rigell’s office posed no immediate hazard.
* Michigan Democrats will elect a party chair tomorrow, following a heated campaign between current Chairman Mark Brewer and challenger Lon Johnson. Brewer has led the state party for most of the last 18 years.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T MISS:
* Is former Montana governor Brian Schwitzer (D) eyeing a a congressional bid? It doesn’t sound like it. “I’m not goofy enough to be in the House, and I’m not senile enough to be in the Senate,” he told a local TV station. A poll suggesting Scwheitzer could beat Democratic Sen. Max Baucus in 2014 was posted to Schweitzer’s Facebook page earlier this week. But Schweitzer says he didn’t see see the poll or post it. He also told to the local station he would have big news for them in the next week or so.
* Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) will address CPAC next month.
* The National Republican Senatorial Committee is chalking up its weak January fundraising total to the staff turnover the committee underwent.
* First Lady Michelle Obama will appear on NBC’s “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” tonight, possibly for an athletic competition rematch.
THE FIX MIX:
A second job?
With Aaron Blake