Note: We originally posted this item in January. We are resurfacing it today in light of Rep. Bill Pascrell’s impassioned remarks at a House hearing on the federal health-care law. The New Jersey Democrat made a bid to be included in the list below with his response (“Are you serious, what you just said?”) to a comment from Rep. Tim Griffin (R-Ark.) that it’s a “false choice to say it’s Obamacare or nothing.” The video is below.
N.J. Gov. Chris Christie’s turn as Howard Beale on Wednesday got us thinking: Just what are the greatest political rants of all time?
So, for this week’s Friday Line, we’re highlighting 12 of our favorites.
Which ones did we miss? Which ones are your favorites? The comments section awaits.
To the line!
12. New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino’s “I’m gonna take you out”
Because it’s not often you see a political candidate physically threatening somebody.
11. Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) 8-hour filibuster
This one wins the longevity award, even if it’s not terribly compelling at any one point.
10. Richard Nixon’s “You won’t have Nixon to kick around anymore”
Nixon’s final press conference of his failed 1962 governor campaign.
9. Christie’s superstorm Sandy stem-winder
In which a politician spends half an hour criticizing his own party’s most powerful lawmaker.
8. Bill Clinton’s “Shame on you”
There was so much to choose from when it came to the former president’s work as a surrogate for his wife in the 2008 campaign, but this one takes the cake.
7. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) will not yield
Before he became infamous for posting a twitpic of his mid-region, Weiner was known as an outspoken liberal. And this was his big moment during the health care debate — earning him plaudits from the left.
6. Ronald Reagan’s “I am paying for this microphone”
Want to see Reagan lose his cool for a few seconds?
5. Rep. Charlie Rangel’s (D-N.Y.) “Swinging in the wind” (and the remix is here)
Fighting ethics charges, Rangel takes on his foes in a lengthy floor speech.
4. Illinois State Rep. Mike Bost’s (R) “Let my people go”
Just watch the people around him as he goes off. Priceless.
3. The Dean Scream
You knew this one would be on here.
2. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) vs. Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.)
The battle between these two is hugely entertaining — even if you have no clue about parliamentary procedure.
1. Two words: Phil Davison
This, from the Ohio politician, will never be usurped in the rant department.