Vodafone is considering selling off its stake in Verizon. The British telecom operator owns 45 percent of Verizon Wireless and confirmed Thursday that it's weighing a deal with U.S.-based Verizon Communications, which currently owns the remaining 55 percent. Bloomberg reports that estimates for the deal reach as high as $130 billion. Vodafone stock is up more than 8 percent in London right now.
Is this man the leader of the Syrian Electronic Army? Vice reports it's identified one of the key figures in the Syrian Electronic Army, the group that claimed responsibility for hacking Twitter and the New York Times in recent days. Leaked documents from SEA's server appear to show a connection to a real name and a credit card number. Security researcher Brian Krebs, meanwhile, says he's identified another potential culprit. The SEA has denied both claims.
T-Mobile sues AT&T over the color 'magenta.' T-Mobile is going after an AT&T subsidiary, Aio Wireless, for allegedly using a trademarked shade of magenta in its branding materials. But a closer inspection reveals that T-Mobile owns the rights to only one hue of the color — and it's not the one Aio was using.
Apple gets sued by patent trolls more often than any other tech company. AllThingsD looked at data from PatentFreedom and discovered that Apple has been targeted by patent trolls 171 times in the past five years. That's roughly 25 percent more than its next closest competitor, HP. Apple CEO Tim Cook, speaking at AllThingsD's D10 conference, called patent trolling "a waste" and "a time suck."
Android VP jumps ship to join Chinese smartphone company. In a post on Google Plus, Hugo Barra, Google's vice president for Android, announced that he's moving to China to become the vice president of Xiaomi's global division. Xiaomi, which has been called the "Apple of China," is valued at an estimated $10 billion. But Barra said he isn't leaving Android behind. "I'm really looking forward to this new challenge, and am particularly excited about the opportunity to continue to help drive the Android ecosystem," he wrote.
Hotfile loses federal copyright case, MPAA says (Ars Technica)
Intellectual Ventures to seek $3 billion for patent fund (Bloomberg Businessweek)