The new cast of “Dancing With the Stars” won’t be officially confirmed until Tuesday morning on “Good Morning America,” but that won’t stop the Inernet from guessing who will be competing for the hideous-yet-coveted mirror ball trophy this season.
The blogsophere has been abuzz for the last few weeks, looking for that controversial figure that will send the ratings of the ABC dancing competition show soaring. Though sadly for them, former GOP presidential candidates Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann have already said they will be sitting out this season.
Instead, it appears we’ve got some of the same old kind of casting for when the show returns to the schedule on March 19. And ahead of the “GMA” announcement, we have gathered some of the names making the rounds.
At the top of the rumored list are four competitiors noted by celebrity-sighting web site TMZ — which keeps a very close eye on these kind of things — and they include:
* Sherri Shepherd. This makes sense, given that Shepherd is already in the Disney family as a co-host of “The View.” Plus, that would almost guarantee that “DWTS” would become a frequent “hot topic” on the daytime talk show.
* Maria Menounos. The co-host of NBC Universal’s syndicated entertainment news show “Extra” doesn’t appear to have any close ties to ABC, but her co-host Mario Lopez did have a successful run on “DWTS” as the runner-up in Season 3.
* Melissa Gilbert. Perhaps taking the “Oh right, whatever happened to [fill in the blank actor/actress]?” spot, Gilbert’s most famous for starring in the 1970s series “Little House on the Prairie.”
* Jack Wagner. Soap actor known for his gig on “Melrose Place.”
Other names heavily mentioned in the rumor mill are:
* Gavin Degraw. Even though the pop singer — the man behind the “One Tree Hill” theme song — is on tour this spring, his pal Ryan Tedder told the Hollywood Reporter that he heard his friend was doing the show this season.
* Ryan O’Neal. The actor was reportedly going to be part of last season’s show, but dropped out at the last minute, claiming a knee injury. Now the word is, he’ll be back.
* Ali Fedotowsky. She could be part of the former “Bachelor”/“Bachelorette” star contingent; after all, Melissa Rycroft came in third place in Season 8.
* Vince Young. The Eagles quarterback tweeted about his invitation to the show, and we do know how “DWTS” loves athletes.
In addition, Pee Wee Herman, Kardashian family memmber Kris Jenner, and pro golfer Annika Sorenstam are some of the names being speculated. However, the mystery will be solved Tuesday morning on “Good Morning America.”