wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Entertainment

Trove link goes here

Live Discussions

Weekly schedule, past shows

TV Column
Posted at 04:06 PM ET, 08/13/2012

VH1 cancels ‘Ev and Ocho’ after Ocho arrested for allegedly attacking Ev


Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson and his wife, Evelyn Lozada, in “Ev and Ocho.” (John Parra - Wireimage)
VH1 on Monday yanked its new reality docu-soap “Ev and Ocho” starring two of its better-known reality stars, after one was arrested on a domestic violence charge.

Longtime NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson, aka The Former Chad Ochocinco, was picked up Saturday evening after allegedly head-butting his new wife (and star of “Basketball Wives”) Evelyn Lozada, which resulted in a three-inch gash to her head, according to press accounts that cited the arrest report.

Ochocinco is also a VH1 veteran, having starred in VH1’s dating competition series, “The Ultimate Catch”; he played the “ultimate catch.” Ironic, huh?

The Miami Dolphins, for which Johnson was supposed to receive this season, said Sunday they’d terminated his contract but did not elaborate. Before that announcement, Miami head coach Joe Philbin said during a Sunday press conference that he planned to “speak with Chad directly” about the situation, CNN reported.

VH1, which had been so looking forward to next month’s debut of “Ev & Ocho,” instead wound up scrubbing the show on Monday, even though the first season was already in the can, documenting “the journey of this charismatic and passionate couple’s every step, as they prepare to walk down the aisle and into each other’s hearts forever.”


Ev and Ocho (Mike Colón - Getty )
“Due to the unfortunate events over the weekend and the seriousness of the allegations, VH1 is pulling the series ‘Ev and Ocho’ from its schedule and has no current plans of airing it,” the network said Monday on its Web site.

According to the arrest report, the couple began to argue Saturday evening over a receipt for a box of condoms, and things escalated from there.

The confluence of reality-TV and “reality” comes for VH1 almost exactly three years after the Viacom-owned network reluctantly had to throw in the towel on not one but two reality series, “Megan Wants a Millionaire” and ‘I Love Money 3” when a guy who was a competitor in both was found dead of apparent suicide after being accused of killing his ex-wife.

Ryan Jenkins’s death, and VH1’s decision to pull both shows came more than a week after a guy searching a dumpster in Buena Park Calif. for recyclables discovered the mutilated body of Jenkins’s ex-wife stuffed in a suitcase.

When Jenkins was identified by authorities as a “person of interest,” VH1 announced only that it would suspend “Megan Wants a Millionaire,” which had already aired three episodes, and kept mum on “I Love Money 3” which was not scheduled to debut for some time.

When police announced there was a warrant out for Jenkins’s arrest in Fiore’s murder, VH1 finally threw in the towel on “Megan” but still held out hope for “Money 3.”

But when Jenkins turned up dead, VH1 canceled both series, amidst a flurry of press reports about The Skank That Is Reality TV.

By  |  04:06 PM ET, 08/13/2012

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company