Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) announced a flurry of appointments — 90 to be exact — just before 5 p.m. Friday, including dozens of his biggest supporters and top donors to the boards of visitors of the state's colleges and universities.
Gary C. Byler, a Virginia Beach lawyer and Republican chairman of the 2nd congressional district, was appointed to the Christopher Newport University board. Thomas R. Frantz, CEO of Williams Mullen law firm ,will serve on the College of William and Mary board. Barry Duval CEO of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce, was appointed to the James Madison University board. Anthony R. Bedell, chairman of the Fairfax County Republican Committee, was appointed to Radford University board. Thomas F. Farrell, chairman of Dominion Resources and childhood friend of McDonnell’s, will serve on the Virginia Commonwealth University board. Tim Robertson, son of televangelist Pat Robertson, returns to the University of Virginia board.
It's common for governors to use board of visitors appointments -- the most prestigious appointments they have to offer -- as a thank-you to longtime supporters and friends.
McDonnell also appointed Steven R. Escobar, a veterinarian at Springfield Veterinary Center, to the State Board of Health as he looks to remake the board in time for it to regulate abortion clinics.
See the full list of appointments to universities below:
Christopher Newport University Board of Visitors
· Ann N. Hunnicutt of Hampton, president and owner of Westwood Contractors
· Gary C. Byler of Virginia Beach, attorney
· Delceno C. Miles of Virginia Beach, president and CEO of the Miles Agency
· N. Scott Millar of Newport News, senior director of Human Resources for Canon Virginia, Inc.
College of William and Mary Board of Visitors
· Thomas R. Frantz of Virginia Beach, CEO and president of Williams Mullen
· Leigh Pence of Great Falls, owner of Shape and Play
· Pete Snyder of Alexandria, CEO of New Media Strategies
· Todd Stottlemyer of Oak Hill, CEO of IT Solutions
George Mason University Board of Visitors
· Mark F. McGettrick of Powhatan, executive vice president and CFO of Dominion Resources
· Karen Alcalde of Arlington, alumna of George Mason
· B.G. Beck of Fairfax Station
· Reginald J. Brown of Alexandria, partner at Wilmer Hale
· Kimberly Dennis of McLean, CEO of The Searle Freedom Trust
James Madison University Board of Visitors
· Fred D. Thompson, Jr. of Herndon, CAO of Thompson Hospitality
· Pablo Cuevas of Broadway, member of Rockingham County Board of Supervisors
· Barry E. Duval of James City County, CEO of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce
· Leslie F. Gilliam of Keswick, vice president of Cumberland Development
· Don Rainey of Great Falls, general partner with Grotech Ventures
Longwood University Board of Visitors
· Thomas A. Johnson of Lynchburg, president of Thomas A. Johnson Furniture Company, Inc.
· Jane Sheffield Maddux of Charlottesville, retired
· Marianne Moffat Radcliff of Richmond, vice president of Kemper Consulting, Inc.
Old Dominion University Board of Visitors
· Barry M. Kornblau of Glen Allen, president of Summit Realty Group
· J. William Cofer of Virginia Beach, president of the Virginia Pilot Association
· Andrea M. Kilmer of Virginia Beach, vice president of ESG Enterprises
· Frank Reidy of Virginia Beach, director of Pennsylvania General Energy
Radford University Board of Visitors
· Matthew B. Crisp of Cary, North Carolina, president of the AgBio Division at Intrexon Corporation
· Anthony R. Bedell of Fairfax, director of federal and state Government Relations at Intuit, Inc.
· Sandra C. Davis of Blacksburg, owner of BCR Real Estate and Property Management
· Rene Fonseca of Springfield, president of Ozinga International, LLC
State Board for Community Colleges
· Dorcas Helfant-Browning of Virginia Beach, managing partner and CEO of Coldwell Banker Professional Realtors
· Stephen T. Gannon of Henrico, deputy general counsel for Capital One Financial Corporation
· Radm. Robert R. Fountain of Montross
· Mirta M. Martin, Ph.D. of Midlothian, dean and professor of Management, Reginald F. Lewis School of Business, Virginia State University
University of Virginia and Affiliated Schools Board of Visitors
· Allison Cryor DiNardo of Alexandria, president of King Street Wireless, Inc.
· Stephen P. Long, M.D. of Richmond, partner with Commonwealth Pain Specialists
· George Keith Martin of Hanover, managing Partner at McGuire Woods LLP, Richmond Office
· John L. Nau, III of Houston, Texas, chairman and CEO of Silver Eagle Distributors
· Tim Robertson of Virginia Beach, CEO of Bay Shore Enterprises LLC
Virginia Commonwealth University Board of Visitors
· Thomas F. Farrell, II of Richmond, CEO of Dominion Resources
· William A. Royall, Jr. of Richmond, chairman of Royall & Company
· Sudaker Shenoy of Reston, CEO of Information Management Consultants
· Jacquelyn E. Stone of Richmond, partner at McGuire Woods
Virginia Military Institute Board of Visitors
· P. Wesley Foster, Jr. of Chantilly, CEO of Long and Foster Real Estate
· John C. Allen of Coalton, West Virginia, chairman of the Board, JF Allen Company
· Paul E. Galanti of Richmond, commissioner of the Virginia Department of Veterans Services
· Ernesto Vicente Sampson, Jr. of Richmond, independent financial adviser with Ameriprise
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Board of Visitors
· Cordel L. Faulk of Charlottesville, director of admissions for the University of Virginia School of Law
· John C. Lee, IV of Middleburg, CEO of Lee Technologies
· Deborah Martin Petrine of Hardy, CEO of CCR
Virginia State University Board of Visitors
· George K. Anas, II of Mechanicsville, client director at Faithful & Gould
· Felix Davis, Jr. of Chesterfield, retired DuPont executive
· Terone B. Green of Richmond, executive director of The Virginia Alliance