Editor’s note: A previous version of this blog post contained outdated information about the homes on the tour. The correct information is below.
Have you been gazing at the photos from the top 10 entries in our Historic Home Contest, perhaps wishing you could see some of them up close? Those homes aren’t open to the public, but many historic homes in Waterford will be this weekend as part of the Waterford Homes Tour and Crafts Exhibit.
The Loudoun County town shows off five houses on Friday, four on Saturday and four on Sunday. Docents will be on hand to describe the home’s or building’s history, its architecture and its furnishings.
A list of the homes on the tour and the dates they are open follows:
●Pink House: The house was constructed by Lewis Klein sometime between 1816 and 1825.
●Braden House: The house was built by Robert Braden between 1816 adn 1820.
●Joseph Janney House: A log house built in 1781.
●Pierpoint House (Ratcliffe House): Samuel Pierpoint and his family lived in this home from 1809 to 1812. The house was two front doors, which was common in Pennsylvania German community dwellings.
●Asbury Johnson House: A Victorian-style building built in 1886.
●Marshall Claggett House: The house was constructed in 1760 then moved into Waterford in 1870. It exemplifies typical log house construction.
●The Dormers: Mahlon Janney II built this house sometime after 1803.
●Ephriam Schooley House (Parker-Bennett House): The house was originally constructed as two separate dwellings. The southern half was built before 1827; the northern half was added prior to 1851.
●Old Acre: James Moore Jr. contructed the house between 1815 and 1838.
●Samuel Means House: Mahlon Janney built the stone wing around 1762. The brick wing was added before 1803.
●Marshall Claggett House: see above description
●Graham House: Leven Smallwood built the three-bay section of this house shortly after his 1810 purchase of the lot.
●Hollingsworth-Lee House: The interior floor plan of the dwelling is unusual: The door opesn into a passage that runs the depth of the house; a single room is to the right of the passage.
The houses and buildings are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
One-day tickets are $15 in advance, $17; children 12 and younger are free.Two-day tickets are $26 in advance; three-day tickets are $39 in advance.
Tickets can be purchased at Presidential Bank branches on K Street NW and in Bethesda, Rockville, Reston and Tysons Corner; and Middleburg Bank in Ashburn, Gainsville, Leesburg, Marshall, Middleburg, Purcelleville, Reston, Warrenton and Williamsburg. Other locations can be found on the Waterford Foundation’s Web site.