By Dylan Matthews,
Today, Ezra reacted to the new, dismal jobs report and a new study showing that Medicaid works, while I looked into the long-run effects of unemployment and argued that Obama has to break some law if the debt ceiling isn’t raised. Here’s what we didn’t get to:
1) Note to people who want Medicare to be means-tested: It already is.
2) The public sector has shed more jobs than any time since 1955.
3) The ethanol industry is happy with a new Senate compromise cutting subsidies for it.
4) High-earners get more from the health-care tax deduction than poor people get from Medicaid.
5) Paul Tough wants education wonks to just get along.
Song of the Day: The Antlers’ “Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out.”