Round up of D-Day commemorations
Here are the headlines from Friday’s commemoration ceremonies to mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day in Europe and the U.S.
- Under clear, sunny skies on the bluffs overlooking Omaha Beach, Obama addressed D-Day veterans, as well as veterans of other wars, Zachary A. Goldfarb reported.
- How the Washington Post covered D-Day in 1944.
- D-Day by the numbers, via the BBC.
- The iconic image of Eisenhower on the eve of Normandy landings.
- Swati Sharma reported on the last letter home from one U.S. soldier who died at Normandy.
- A Virginia hero and Medal of Honor recipient was honored at the D-Day commemoration in France. Read more about his incredible heroism here.
- Ian Shapira reported that hundreds gathered at the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. today.
- Don Lipman spoke to the author of a book about the most important weather forecast in history.
- NBC News released archival footage of their 1944 D-Day coverage.
- The world is getting closer to a time when there are no more World War II veterans, Emily Badger reported.
- A French organization dropped 1 one million rose petals on the Statue of Liberty to commemorate D-Day.